December 2009


December 4, 2009 Directors Association Meeting

Mid Hudson Library System Auditorium



Minutes December 4, 2009


Meeting was called to order at 9:30 a.m. by Jessica Gonzalez



Columbia County

Luisa Sabin-Kildiss Chatham, Corey Fleming Hudson, Julie Hamrah Johnson, Kinderhook

Dutchess County

Phyllis Keaton Beacon, Terry Sennett Clinton Corners, Susan Totter Dover Plains, Gloria Goverman East Fishkill, Julie Spann Fishkill, Gregory Callahan Hyde Park, Lisa Karim LaGrange, Nancy Rogers Millbrook, Robert P. Reilly Pawling, Marguerite Hill Pine Plains, Daniela Pulice Pleasant Valley, Tom Lawrence Poughkeepsie, Tom Lawrence Arlington Branch, Mary Anna Egan Red Hook, Steven Cook Rhinebeck, Joanne Meyer Rhinecliff, Arlene Christiansen Stanford, Matthew Pfisterer Wappingers Falls

Greene County

Debra Kamecke Cairo, Tracy J.Priest Palenville, Linda Deubert Coxsackie

Putnam County

Gillian Thorpe Cold Spring, Carol Donick Garrison, Frank Rees Kent, Patricia Kaufman Mahopac, Patti Haar Patterson, Kathleen McLaughlin Putnam Valley

Ulster County

Julie Kelsall-Dempsey Highland Clintondale Branch, Tracey Pause Hurley, Margie Menard Kingston, James Cosgrove Marlboro, Wendy Alexander Rosendale, Jessica Gonzalez Saugerties, Kara Lustiber West Hurley

Mid-Hudson Library System    Josh Cohen,  Merribeth Advocate, Rebekkah Smith Aldrich, Laurie Shedrick


Action Items


T. Lawrence moved that the minutes of the previous meeting be approved.  P.Haar seconded. Motion passed.


Noting of the retirement of Deb Begley and John Plambeck. They will be missed. Also, D.J. Stern of Woodstock is retiring.


Action Items


Frank Rees has volunteered to remain as Board liaison. Moved immediately by T. Lawrence, seconded by M. Pfisterer. Motion passed. A round of applause.


Julie Dempsey will be Ulster County rep. to the DA and be Chair.



MHLS Reports

MHLS Executive Director’s Report Josh Cohen


Report circulated in advance of the meeting


Overdrive starts by Feb 1 or mid-February, depending on implementation of technology and webpage. Staff training available, through webinar technology. To be scheduled in January.  Ordering of materials training will be set up. Thru Central Library Committee, or another method? Meeting to be scheduled late Dec early January. Other systems to be surveyed. Marketing consultant to be provided, with $500 worth of materials supplied. Break between current NetLibrary contract and Overdrive should be short. To be marketed as downloadable media, rather than downloadable audiobooks. This should set us up for the future, when other formats are provided.


Funding has now been cut by legislature. Previous cut increased cut to 12% or $40,000 cut for 2009 funding. Fund balance has allowed us to survive. Any drastic cuts will impact 2012. LSTA funds of $16,246, possibly to be used for SOPAC.  New server needed, along with several software additions.


Reimbursement to be reduced to $.35/mile. Other incentives being discussed at MHLS Board meeting to be held Dec. 5. No more packages.



MHLS Board Liaison Report Frank Rees

Board Meeting Sat. Dec. 5


Advisory Committee Reports

Central Library/Collection Development 


Next meeting early January, 2010


Continuing Education/Professional Development Merribeth Advocate

The next meeting is scheduled for Spring, 2010


Marketing and Program Midge Quick

Report attached. Ad hoc Task Force to meet after DA meeting re: DA/Advisory Committees.


Resource Sharing

See attached.

Password levels will be altered.


Consultant Activities

Outreach & Education Coordinator Merribeth Advocate


Report circulated prior to meeting.


Mango 9 to 23 languages. Mango Basic is now with 14 ESL languages up from 3.


Coordinator of Membership Information Rebekkah Smith Aldrich


Member item requests to be made now. Please note that these items do not replace legislative funding. T. Lawrence asked for numbers to illustrate value in dollars of state funding to MHLS to each library. Such as cost of Millennium, then divide by number of licenses to show value.





Youth Services Coordinator

Christina not present.


Automated Systems Manager Laurie Shedrick

Clearing holdshelf essential. Do daily. 75% of broken holds due to this.

Holds training in Spring.


Library Thing- led us to SOPAC. Hold until SOPAC work happens. Must see if it works, to be tabled for about six months. Salesman told not to expect a purchase.


March 2 meeting date change suggested due to Lobby day. March 3 to be new date. To be voted on next month.


P-Type – VIP Status recommendation from Resource Sharing reworded. J. Kelsall-Dempsey explained that what VIP status can be used for. No longer has to be patron’s home library. T. Lawrence notes that a message should be inserted to give a reason why this patron is a VIP. To be voted on in Jan.


New Proposed Business & Information

AirPac demonstration of mobile OPAC for portable devices (iPod, etc.) 2 versions included in price ($15,500 from iii) To be action item for next month.


Technology is web based , not an app. For an iPod or smartphone.


Holds clearing- Proposal to have representative from each library to attend Mandatory Holds Management training. G. Goverman asked if a library is already utilizing holds clearing do they need to attend?  Value of training is worth attending, even with use.


Collection Agency Update- Cost of service for all libraries discussed. Innovative has a module to provide information to collection agency. G. Goverman discussed her experience with collections. T. Lawrence discussed send the name to collections agency, it is the agency, 120 days.


16 libraries indicated interest in participating. Reports can be generated regularly. If purchased, must promote how we save money.


New P-Type- Resource sharing recommends adoption. To be an action item for January, 2010.


Courtesy Notices- Can be blocked by subject by patron, or by blocking by sender. A system-wide change. A no-cost Millennium service.


Music CD loan rule – recommendation to adopt a one-week circ period for music. Resource sharing believes should be shorter period. Would speed up sharing.



R. Reilly moved to adjourn.  The meeting was adjourned at 11:34.


The next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday January 6, at 10:00 A.M.


Respectfully Submitted:

Steven Cook, Starr Library Rhinebeck