May 2010


May 3, 2010 Directors Association Meeting Mid Hudson Library System Auditorium

Meeting was called to order at 10:07 a.m. by Julie Kelsall-Dempsey.


Columbia County

Luisa Sabin-Kildiss , Chatham Public Library; Sally Alderdice, Claverack Free Library; Corey Fleming, Hudson; Julie H. Johnson, Kinderhook Memorial Library; Jeannie Bogino, New Lebanon Library; Karen Garafalo, Philmont Public Library; Elizabeth Powhida, Valatie Free Library

Dutchess County

Phyllis Keaton, Beacon Library; Terry Sennett, Clinton Community Library; Julie Spann, Fishkill Library; Matthew Pfisterer, Grinnell Library Association; Allison Herrero, Howland Public Library; Gregory Callahan, Hyde Park Library; Lisa Karim, LaGrange Association Library; Nancy Rogers, Millbrook Free Library; Joanne A. Meyer, Morton Memorial Library and Community House; Robert Reilly, Pawling Free Library; Marguerite Hill, Pine Plains Free Library; Daniela Pulice, Pleasant Valley Library; Tom Lawrence, Poughkeepsie Public Library District; Sue Hoadley, Red Hook Public Library; Joanne Meyer, Rhinecliff Library; Erica Freudenberger, Staatsburg Library; Arlene Christensen, Stanford Free Library

Greene County

Debra Kamecke, Athens – D.R. Evart; Linda Deubert, Coxsackie Library

Putnam County

Carol Donick, Garrison-Hamilton Fish; Gillian Thorpe, Julia L. Butterfield Memorial Library; Frank Rees, Kent Library; Patricia Kaufman, Mahopac Public Library; Kathleen McLaughlin, Putnam Valley Free Library; Jeanne Buck, Reed Memorial Library

Ulster County

Julie Kelsall-Dempsey, Highland Public Library; Margie Menard, Kingston Library; James Cosgrove, Marlboro Free Library; John Giralico, New Paltz; Wendy Alexander, Rosendale Library; Laurel Coccio, Sarah Hull Hallock Free Library; Jessica Gonzalez; Saugerties; Faith Johnson, Town of Ulster Public Library

Mid-Hudson Library System

Josh Cohen, Merribeth Advocate, Rebekkah Smith Aldrich, Christina Ryan- Linder, Laurie Shedrick


Action Items

T. Lawrence moved that the minutes of the previous meeting be approved. R. Reilly seconded and the motion passed.

Motion to accept birth date requirement in patron record: moved by D.

Pulice, seconded by L. Karim. Motion passed. Discussion – Some patrons are not willing to give birth date, but to allow individual libraries to choose not to require birth date would mean separate templates for each library. Currently the system requires some kind of date or an error message will come up. Requiring birthdates may create some awkward situations, but ultimately this information is for the protection of the library. Collection companies will not take action against and individual without a valid birth date.

Motion to accept changes to Kid’s OPAC drop down: moved by L. Coccio, seconded by N. Rogers. Discussion – the search is still scoped to the Kid’s collection, but can be narrowed to any library. The scope looks at the 3 letter location code ending with j.

Congratulations to E. Powhida, new director at Valatie.

MHLS Reports

MHLS Executive Director’s Report , Josh Cohen A written report was circulated in advance of the meeting.

Today is Josh’s last meeting.

DA has gotten more bureaucratic over recent years. Comments on his report are meant to be constructive, not negative.


MHLS Board Liaison Report, Frank Rees

No report. The last meeting was 3/13.


Advisory Committee Reports

Central Library/Collection Development, Margie Menard A written report was circulated in advance of the meeting. Committee met on 4/20.

2010 budget: Renewed and approved. Revised 2010 projection is lower than anticipated.

Central Library contribution will remain the same.

Audiobook & database costs: Approved. Discussed the possibility of adding eBooks to Overdrive. This will not be done at this time, but will be reevaluated in the future – no time frame set. Since Kindles can not be used, it makes sense to wait. There is still a question of how this will be funded, since eBooks for fiction are not eligible for Central Library support.

Fiction Last Copy Policy and Procedure: Eliminated. Last copies will be deleted by MHLS every couple of weeks.

Continuing Education/Professional Development, Julie Spann A written report was circulated in advance of the meeting. Committee met on 4/23.

Marketing and Program,

No meeting. No report. The next meeting is scheduled for 6/17.

Resource Sharing

No meeting. No report. The next meeting is scheduled for 5/18.


Consultant Activities

Outreach & Education Coordinator, Merribeth Advocate A written report was circulated in advance of the meeting.

“5 visits Along the Hudson River”: Patrons will find this film interesting. Some libraries may want to show as a program.


Coordinator for Library Growth & Sustainability, Rebekkah Smith Aldrich A written report was circulated in advance of the meeting.

NYS Budget: Still hasn’t passed. Restoration of the cut is still on table.

Correction to Item #3b on report, Grants Management Update: Libraries will receive 100% of funds.

Volunteer Management Training: This will benefit both directors and Friends groups. Teen volunteers are covered, as well.


Youth Services & Community Connections Coordinator, Christina Ryan- Linder A written report was circulated in advance of the meeting.

Hudson Children’s Book Festival: Well organized, fantastic event. Over 100 authors were in attendance. Next year’s festival will be May 7.

There was constant flow at the Columbia County table.


Automated Systems Manager, Laurie Shedrick A written report was circulated in advance of the meeting.

Millennium 2009b: Updates are now available now for prerelease. One new feature is that all holds can be put on hold in new Millennium.

Libraries will be able to put their own header at the top of bills, notices, etc.

Millennium Users group: Will review 2009b changes, records clean up, and Air Pac.

Sticky transit slips: Adhere to front of items. They will require a separate printer. Send comments to Laurie. Double rubber bands should still be used, but this is being looked at.

Libraries who using OPAC only as an OPAC: With Bookletters, etc, patrons can get out to any site on the internet. If necessary, a time out can be set so that the browser will revert to the home page.


System Funding Task Force, Tom Lawrence

A written report was circulated in advance of the meeting. Committee met on 4/13

Chart: May be still confusing. The task force is trying to present figures in a way that it will be easy to explain to library boards.

The “full recovery” column indicates the total cost for tires & wires if there was no subsidy from MHLS. The center column indicates what libraries will be charged to cover the MHLS budget deficit in 2012.

There was a suggestion to look more seriously at a projected deficit for 2012. Actual dollar value may be more relevant than percentages.

Net Lender reimbursement funds: Still given, but cut from $10,000 to $5000.

Next meeting date not yet set.


Old Business



New Proposed Business & Information

Additional PriceIt! Funds: This item was brought up and discussed in April, so should have been an action item. Motion to use funds moved by T. Lawrence, seconded by P. Kaufman. Motion passed.

2011 Member Library Database and Audiobook Costs: 2010 revised costs are lower than previously reported. Circulated chart lists cost of all collectively purchased databases. Committee moved to approve costs.

Action item for next meeting.

Josh’s last meeting: Josh was presented with a gift and many thanks from the DA – he will be missed and we wish him the best of luck. We celebrated his retirement with a cake and small party. Thanks to J.

Dempsey for organizing.



R. Reilly moved to adjourn the meeting. G. Callahan seconded and the meeting was adjourned at 11:08 am.



Respectfully Submitted:

Jeannie Bogino

New Lebanon Library